Pregnancy can often be a?stressful time emotionally,?and?stress?can negatively affect the health of the mother and the unborn baby.?Prenatal Massage?can help to control stress. When stressed, your body release a hormone called Cortisol. Massage therapy can help to lower the amount of cortisol in the blood and raise the amount of the ?feel good? hormone dopamine. The sense of touch in massage is not only very nurturing and relaxing for the mother-to-be but also vital to the mother’s physical and emotional well-being as she adapts to her new body image.
What to Prepare
- No heavy meal 2 hours before the massage. Eat light meal or snack if hungry.
- Rest 30 mins after the massage before eating.
- Bathe before the massage (n blow your hair dry) or wait at least 1 to 2 hours after the massage.
- Drink a glass of warm water after the massage.
Some of the benefits include:-
- Reduces?stress levels?and fatigue levels
- Eases back & foot pain caused by changes in posture
- Reduces pelvic/hip pain
- Improves digestion
- Improves circulation
- Reduces swelling of feet, ankles, and arms
- this is a common problem in pregnancy, because fluid?builds up in the extremities. Massage increases the circulation of blood and lymph helping to carry?the excess fluids from the extremities and thereby decreasing the swelling.
- Improves skin elasticity, reducing stretch marks
- Reduces anxiety and depression
- Anxiety and depression are common during pregnancy. Massage?increases the secretion of dopamine and serotonin which helps to ease depression and calm?anxiety levels.